When it comes to prostate cancer, several treatment options are available. The best option for you depends on several factors, including how advanced your cancer is, your age, your life expectancy and if you have any other medical conditions. Your urologist will be able to take all factors into consideration and talk through the best options for you.
Watchful waiting is typically the preferred treatment method for men who have slow-growing cancers or limited life expectancy due to age or certain medical conditions. Regular checkups are recommended to monitor growth, and active treatment is often the next step if symptoms get worse.
Other options include:
- Hormone therapy to control the supply of hormones, such as testosterone, that cancer cells need to grow.
- High Intensity Focused Ultrasound (HIFU) treatment as a minimally invasive option that also drastically reduces side effects such as erectile dysfunction and incontinence. This is an option for those watchful waiters.
- Chemotherapy to slow or reverse the spread of prostate cancer in advanced stages.
- Radiation therapy to damage tumor cells. This treatment is typically recommended when the cancer is confined to the immediate prostate area.
- Intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) to deliver precise radiation to malignant tumors.
- Surgery, which includes open radical prostatectomy and prostatectomy. These procedures are intended to remove all cancerous tissue to cure the cancer, and are typically performed during early stages of the disease.
- Cryosurgery to destroy cancerous tissue.
- Da Vinci robotic surgery to dissect and remove the cancerous prostate gland.
Again, everyone is unique and you should speak to your urologist about the best options for you when it comes to treating prostate cancer. Luckily, it’s often effectively treated and cured, especially when it’s detected in its early stages.
Contact us today to schedule an appointment with one of our skilled urologists, or schedule an appointment online in minutes. We look forward to hearing from you!